Saturday, October 13, 2012

What I Learned at Convention

I spent the past week on the road and in the air for the Province 5 Chaplains' Conference and, closer to home, diocesan convention and, in both cases, was without my computer. The blog got lonely. Glad to be back home.

At diocesan conference, I had twin-duties: delegate and exhibit booth representative, both for St Francis House. I had a great time at my first convention in the Diocese of Milwaukee. I made new friends, heard some powerful stories, and all in all thoroughly enjoyed becoming at home with my new diocesan family. The booth was especially rewarding and fascinating. SFH has many cheerleaders throughout the diocese, a rich legacy of alumni, and many willing partners in ministry. All in all, very good. And I wouldn't do it again.

As convention unfolded, I recognized the limitations of the St Francis House exhibit setup, replete with (really nice) posters of our building project and a meal sign-up sheet that I quickly hid, and how these had predisposed us to conversations of a certain type, largely trending toward information updates, rather than a dialogue of common ministry in which members of the whole diocese play integral parts. For most exhibits, selling wares, etc., simple information exchange does the job, but it didn't quite seem to fit SFH or the broad gathering of convention and the common mission we share.

"But Jonathan - just what questions do you imagine as more interesting than moving buildings and meals?" (Which are really cool.) I'm glad you asked.

"Where are you from? Who are the college students near you?" (OK, so I asked this anyway, but it came across as deflecting from my own material.)
"How is your church supporting and engaging these students?"
"What would you like to ask a college student about her faith?"
"What would you tell a college student about your faith?"
"What can I and/or my congregation do now to be involved in campus ministries?"
"How do the promises of the baptismal covenant bring parish and campus ministries in contact?"
"What light does the Gospel shed on our ministry to and with universities?"

Where are the young people? Here. They are here.
As I consider these questions, I am leaning next year towards co-hosting a Campus Ministry exhibit with colleagues (and maybe students) who share in this particular work across the diocese (as in, ministries from many campuses). If you are one of these colleagues, I'd be particularly keen to hear your thoughts at this invitation. I think our stories are best told together and, besides, I am out of St Francis House pens.

Parenthetically, I say "maybe students" because, as much as their presence is wanted by others in the assembly - and I know you will find this hard to believe - students do not immediately gravitate to diocesan conventions. One woman came to our table and asked me, "Where are the young people in the Church today?" My first reaction was to sigh at the truth that I am no longer an obvious one of their number. But later that night, at a Christian concert at the nearby Alliant Energy Center (that was more honestly a service of praise and worship for some 10,000 youth) I thought to myself: "Here. They are here." The real question, as always, is: "Where are we?" And every day, "Where am I?" I think this question with respect to the Church and young people is a real - by no means insurmountable - challenge for any diocesan convention.

I am fairly certain that a Campus Ministry exhibit will up my recruiting chances with students from 0% to 50% because the students will have the draw of each other. And we can throw a party after. I am more certain that questions generated in a collaborative setting will be closer to the Gospel and the life, energy, and joy known by those of us who make our home in this amazing, emerging context for ministry. I don't want to just update you - I want to live it with you. Now more than ever we need a renewed, corporate imagination and living conversation for the life in Christ that, by virtue of our baptism into the life, death, and resurrection of Jesus, we in the whole Church share with one another...even freshmen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

When the Promise Comes Close: On Earth as It is in Heaven

Bath-time in the Melton home is a beautiful and sometimes also harrowing hour of the day. A veritable roulette wheel of parenting possibilit...