Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Peace and Security in Africa

In my role as a university chaplain, I try to attend at least one campus activity each week that is interesting to me and (I believe) the Church. By doing this, I hope to continually challenge and engage my own learning more actively and also to stretch the Church's imagination for those things that might rightly interest her. 

Today at 12 p.m. in Ingraham Hall, room 206, I will be attending a lecture by John L. Hirsch on peace and security in Africa. I encourage you to click on John's name to read his many credentials. Among other things, Prof. Hirsch has served as U.S. ambassador to Sierra Leone and as Consul General in Johannesburg, South Africa, in the midst of that nation's transition out of apartheid. That transition, of course, led by the Rt. Rev. Desmond Tutu, Nelson Mandela and others, remains one of the most remarkable examples of reconciliation, forgiveness, and national truth-telling in modern history. It is important that we learn from and pursue conversation with those who have sought and continue to seek an understanding of peace and its truthful embodiment. 

In any case, that's what we're up to today. I'm also told they will have free African roast coffee.

Be well.

Peace.
J+

No comments:

Post a Comment

When the Promise Comes Close: On Earth as It is in Heaven

Bath-time in the Melton home is a beautiful and sometimes also harrowing hour of the day. A veritable roulette wheel of parenting possibilit...