Sunday, January 30, 2011

regrets and the possible

Bek shared this quote with me; it comes from a book she's reading entitled, In the Sanctuary of Women: A Companion for Reflection and Prayer, by Jan L. Richardson (Nashville: Upper Room Books, 2010). Of course each of us carries regrets; how can even these regrets (and we who carry them) know the forgiveness and hope of the Gospel?

"I have learned to understand regrets as invitations, as messengers. Rather than being thugs from the past, come to beat me up for decisions I cannot possibly retrieve, they come instead with a word to offer. The word often speaks of something missing in my life, some connection I need to make. With time and with giving attention to the regrets, they have become not so much about loss as about what is yet possible. What path can I still make from the choices gone before?

"Blessing: That you may welcome your regrets not as sorrows but as messengers, as invitations, as doorways to what lies ahead."

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, I plan to share with my Celebrate Recovery group later in the week, as this is very relevant.

    ReplyDelete

When the Promise Comes Close: On Earth as It is in Heaven

Bath-time in the Melton home is a beautiful and sometimes also harrowing hour of the day. A veritable roulette wheel of parenting possibilit...